Reusing the VeraCrypt icon for a custom mounter in Tails
Add Reply
sajolida
2018-07-17 15:49:00 UTC
Hi VeraCrypt,

I'm writing you on behalf of Tails: https://tails.boum.org/.

I'm putting in copy our public development mailing list.

Over the last months, we've been working on integrating VeraCrypt in
Tails and GNOME in general. The native VeraCrypt application not being
included in Debian, we've opted for extending the native GNOME
technologies to support opening VeraCrypt volumes. (We are not working
on allowing the creation of new volumes in GNOME.)

See our pull requests on:

GNOME Disks:
https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gnome-disk-utility/issues/84#note_222551

GNOME Shell:
https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gvfs/merge_requests/4

While doing user testing on our design for this feature we discovered
that Tails users, especially when trying to unlock file containers, were
almost always looking for something called VeraCrypt in the Applications
menu to unlock their containers.

To help them on their way, we designed a very simple GNOME applications
that offers a file chooser to select a file container and then try to
mount it using the underlying GNOME technologies. We called this app
"VeraCrypt Mounter".

The code is very minimal and it performed well during usability testing.

The code:
https://gitlab.com/segfault3/veracrypt-mounter.git

Sketch of the interface:

We're now designing an icon for this application and we wanted to check
with you to which extent we could reuse the VeraCrypt logo to make a
visual reference to your native implementation.

For example, we created the two icons in attachment. One reusing the
full "VC" icon and one reusing only the "V" part of the logo.

Would these be fine to use?

What are the license and terms of use of the VeraCrypt logo?

Note that VeraCrypt Mounter is only meant to be distributed as part of
Tails and the icon would only appear in the Applications menu of GNOME
in Tails. See screenshot in attachment.

NB: You might also be interested in reading the results of the
quantitative survey that we did as user research before designing our
solution. It gives interesting insights on the popularity of the main
features of VeraCrypt:

https://tails.boum.org/blueprint/veracrypt/

Cheers,
sajolida
VeraCrypt Team
2018-07-26 09:23:10 UTC
Hi Sajolida,

Thank you sharing information about VeraCrypt integration in Tails. The
survey results are especially very interesting to us since this is the
first time we can quantitive feedback about users and their usage patterns.

We have no problem with you reusing VeraCrypt logo in Tails. The logo
itself is licensed under Apache License 2.0. I don't know if this can
help integrate it into Tails. In case of problem, we can make exceptions
for you.

Concerning the icons you sent, they are ok for us although we think the
icon with VC will be more appealing to users than the V version.

Voilà voilà...don't hesitate to contact us if you need other information.

Cheers,
--
Mounir IDRASSI
https://labs.riseup.net/code/attachments/download/1842/veracrypt-mounter.png
Cheers,
sajolida
2018-07-26 13:56:00 UTC
Post by VeraCrypt Team
Hi Sajolida,
Hi VeraCrypt!

Sorry for not seeing your answer being sending you a ping. We had a
meeting regarding that this morning and it was a weird coincidence.
Post by VeraCrypt Team
Thank you sharing information about VeraCrypt integration in Tails. The
survey results are especially very interesting to us since this is the
first time we can quantitive feedback about users and their usage patterns.
:)
Post by VeraCrypt Team
We have no problem with you reusing VeraCrypt logo in Tails. The logo
itself is licensed under Apache License 2.0. I don't know if this can
help integrate it into Tails. In case of problem, we can make exceptions
for you.
The Apache License 2.0 is compatible with the Debian Free Software
Guidelines so that works for us. Good news!
Post by VeraCrypt Team
Concerning the icons you sent, they are ok for us although we think the
icon with VC will be more appealing to users than the V version.
Indeed. That's the one we'll use. We created the one with the V only in
case you had problems with us using the complete VC logo.
Post by VeraCrypt Team
Voilà voilà...don't hesitate to contact us if you need other information.
Cool!

Thanks for all your work on VeraCrypt.
sajolida
sajolida
2018-07-26 09:35:00 UTC
Post by sajolida
Hi VeraCrypt,
Hi again VeraCrypt!

Did our initial email reached you well?

In the meantime we drafted two possible versions of our logo for
VeraCrypt Mounter:

- If your logo is free software and there's no trademark issue with us
using it, we'll probably use this icon:

- Otherwise, we'll probably use this icon:

I'm keeping the full content of our first email here below...
sajolida
VeraCrypt Team
2018-07-26 09:57:14 UTC
Hi Sajolida,

We have actually answered your email 30 minutes ago so you probably
missed our answer. Below is a copy of the answer sent.
The logo of the first link is OK. As I wrote in the first answer, we have no
problem of you reusing VeraCrypt logo.

Hi Sajolida,

Thank you sharing information about VeraCrypt integration in Tails. The
survey results are especially very interesting to us since this is the
first time we can quantitive feedback about users and their usage patterns.

We have no problem with you reusing VeraCrypt logo in Tails. The logo
itself is licensed under Apache License 2.0. I don't know if this can
help integrate it into Tails. In case of problem, we can make exceptions
for you.

Concerning the icons you sent, they are ok for us although we think the
icon with VC will be more appealing to users than the V version.

Voilà voilà...don't hesitate to contact us if you need other information.

Cheers,
--
Mounir IDRASSI

Regards,
--
Mounir IDRASSI
https://labs.riseup.net/code/attachments/2079/package-vc.png
https://labs.riseup.net/code/attachments/2078/package-key.png
Cheers,
segfault
2018-08-05 19:43:00 UTC
Hi!
Post by VeraCrypt Team
We have no problem with you reusing VeraCrypt logo in Tails. The logo
itself is licensed under Apache License 2.0. I don't know if this can
help integrate it into Tails. In case of problem, we can make
exceptions for you.
That's great! But after some more discussions, we see some more license
problems, which we hope you can help us with:

* We would like the custom mounter application we created to have
"VeraCrypt" in it's name, so that it will be easier for our users
to find it in the menus. Our working title is "VeraCrypt Mounter".
But we found that the VeraCrypt license states:

"This license does not grant you rights to use any contributors'
name, logo, or trademarks, including IDRIX, VeraCrypt and all
derivative names."

So we would like to ask you if you could give us permission to use
"VeraCrypt" in the application name.

* We were thinking about creating a Debian package for the custom
mounter application, and trying to get it into the Debian
repositories. We don't know yet if this will work, because it has to
be compliant with the Debian Free Software Guidelines [1], but if you
are in favor of this, we could try it if you give us permission along
the lines of:

"We allow the software "VeraCrypt Mounter" and all derivatives to use
the name "VeraCrypt" in its name and the VeraCrypt logo in its logo."

[1] https://www.debian.org/social_contract#guidelines

* Note: This point is only relevant if we can't create Debian packages.

You gave us permission to use the VeraCrypt logo in the icon of the
custom mounter application that we want to ship in Tails. But
derivatives of Tails currently don't have this permission, so they
have only the permissions granted by the VeraCrypt license, which
does not allow the use of the logo. We don't want to make life hard
for Tails derivatives, so it would help if you could grant the same
permission to Tails derivatives (same applies to the use of
"VeraCrypt" in the application name).

Thanks in advance!

Cheers
VeraCrypt Team
2018-08-07 08:21:03 UTC
Hi,

We have no problem to give the rights to use VeraCrypt name to Tails,
"VeraCrypt Mounter" and all their derivatives provided that the
following terms are respected:

  - Derivatives must not be commercial products. A dedicated commercial
license is available from IDRIX.
  - There should be a clear indication to users that the software
provided by Tails, "VeraCrypt Mounter" and their derivatives are not
linked in any way to the VeraCrypt project or to IDRIX, and that all
support requests should be addressed to the authors of "Tails",
"VeraCrypt Mounter" and their derivatives.

If these terms are respected, then we allow Tails, the software
"VeraCrypt Mounter" and all their non-commercial derivatives to use the
name "VeraCrypt" in their name and the VeraCrypt logo in their logo.

Are these terms ok for you?

Regards,
--
Mounir IDRASSI