DeepOnion project
Vaas !
2018-05-03 02:20:38 UTC
Greetings Tails Project,

In the past I contacted your project regarding to donations for your
platform, DeepOnion is an anonymous Cryptocurrency that uses Tor and we
have been donating to the Tor project just to be grateful for their
development, also helping with more Nodes to the network.

People from the Tails Project said that it could work if we create a Debian
Repository for it since your software uses Debian and we can handle this
with our Development Team. I just want to update our conversation, to know
if we should go on with this Development and also if you can consider to
use our Wallet in your pre installed apps (maybe some download app) from
your OS in the future (of course this is not something that you must do but
we would be happy for it since some of our users use Tails).

We aim to create a good relationship with other open source projects and we
invite you to visit our Community.

https://deeponion.org/community

Since 40 weeks we are working to build this project and maybe that can help
to show our commitment.

Best Regards,
Vaas, DeepOnion.org Moderator.
Tobias Frei
2018-05-03 02:42:07 UTC
Hi,

Are cryptocurrencies really still a thing? What would one do with them,
other than trying to sell them to "even more silly" people until the
pyramid scheme collapses? Which goods that are really useful to me can I
buy using your currency, and why would I use it instead of real money or
gold?

I personally am not worried about your usage of the Tor network either,
because every single YouTube user will likely cause more traffic in five
hours than this cryptocurrency will until it is abandoned and considered to
be "not cool enough anymore" by its initially enthusiastic developers. ;)

Best regards
Tobias Frei
Alexandre Trottier
2018-05-03 02:48:08 UTC
While I don't know particularly much about deeponion other than what I've
read was that tongue in cheek? They are absolutely a thing. Tails includes
electrum (or at least it did the last time I used it) labelling all crypto
currencies a pyramid scheme is a pretty bold statement.

If anything it would be beneficial to the purpose of tails. How are
dissidents in countries like Iran or Syria supposed to get rewarded for
particular work without going through government channels that those
oppressive regimes would be able to monitor?

Maybe not DeepOnion but to me it makes sense for tails to integrate with an
anonymous cryptocurrency whether that's DeepOnion, Monero or what have you.
intrigeri
2018-05-07 11:10:47 UTC
Hi,
Post by Vaas !
In the past I contacted your project regarding to donations for your
platform, DeepOnion is an anonymous Cryptocurrency that uses Tor and we
have been donating to the Tor project just to be grateful for their
development, also helping with more Nodes to the network.
People from the Tails Project said that it could work if we create a Debian
Repository for it since your software uses Debian and we can handle this
with our Development Team. I just want to update our conversation, to know
if we should go on with this Development and also if you can consider to
use our Wallet in your pre installed apps (maybe some download app) from
your OS in the future (of course this is not something that you must do but
we would be happy for it since some of our users use Tails).
There are two aspects to this:

1. Allowing Tails users to use DeepOnion

Once your client software is in Debian (stable or worst case
stable backports), then Tails users will be able to easily install
and use it. If needed we can ship whatever tiny config file is
needed to make it go through Tor so that it works out of the box.

Creating a third-party Debian repository would also work but using
that is much harder (for Tails users) to set up and the amount of
trust they have to put into your project and its infrastructure is
much greater. So this might be a reasonable first step but I would
suggest you don't stop and that and instead include your software
in Debian proper :)

2. Accepting donations to Tails with DeepOnion

It seems that every cryptocurrency project around there has been
getting in touch with us in the last 2 years, requesting that we
accept donations made with their tool. We work with limited
resources and can definitely not support them all. If somebody
built an unbiased comparison that allowed us to draw a conclusion
like "it would be worth the effort to support cryptocurrency X,
here's how you would do it" then we might do it. But so far I've
not seen this happen. Needless to say, members of cryptocurrency
projects are not the best placed people to build such an unbiased
summary :)

And most of the time, to accept such donations we would need to run
software ourselves that's not in Debian, which our internal teams'
security policy forbids ⇒ point #1 above is relevant here as well.

Cheers,
intrigeri
Vaas !
2018-05-22 06:51:54 UTC
Thanks for your quick response and sorry for writing you back a bit late.

I have been talking with our Developers and they started to work on the
Debian Repository, we hope this cycle can be good for both of us.

I will send you more details in the future.

Best Regards,
Vaas, DeepOnion.org Moderator.
Post by Vaas !
Hi,
intrigeri
Vaas !
2018-07-17 16:52:08 UTC
Hi Tails Project,

We are glad to let your Team know that we were working on the Debian
Repository in the last months with our Development Team and we did a lot of
progress on it. We took your words about doing something first as a way to
earn the trust from your members and who that we want to help and build
something for the good of all with real commitment.
Right now we are even looking for a mentor for Debian (I don't know if some
people from your Team can help us with this) but all the hard work seems to
be done and we are on the testing phase.
We would like to know if one of your Team would like to Talk with us on
Wire, we can set a meeting with our Developers for testing purposes and
then, we can cooperate together for donations (we would like to donate to
your project in reward for some advertisement) and even future improvements.

Hope we can get in touch soon and again, thank you so much for your time.

Post by Vaas !
Thanks for your quick response and sorry for writing you back a bit late.
I have been talking with our Developers and they started to work on the
Debian Repository, we hope this cycle can be good for both of us.
I will send you more details in the future.
Best Regards,
Vaas, DeepOnion.org Moderator.
Post by Vaas !
Hi,
intrigeri
Tobias Frei

Muri Nicanor
2018-07-17 18:58:38 UTC
hi,
Post by Vaas !
Right now we are even looking for a mentor for Debian (I don't know if some
people from your Team can help us with this) but all the hard work seems to
be done and we are on the testing phase.
See here for information on how to find a mentor who could upload your
https://mentors.debian.net
i guess thats what they were referring to, see #903892:
https://lists.debian.org/msgid-search/***@webmail.123-reg.co.uk
(an RFS is the official way to ask for sponsorship for a new package in
Debian)

cheers,
muri
intrigeri
2018-08-07 18:10:55 UTC
Good catch!

FTR I'm personally not interested enough to invest time into this package.