Discussion:
Tails on MacBook?
(too old to reply)
Marco Betschart
2018-05-29 17:49:01 UTC
Permalink
Raw Message
Hi there,

I wanted to boot Tails on my MacBook 12“ from 2015, but the keyboard as well as the trackpad do not work at all.
Seems like this is a known issue and there is a driver available which should help out:
https://mknowles.com.au/wordpress/2017/11/02/installing-fedora-27-on-a-2017-macbook-12-retina-macbook-101/ <https://mknowles.com.au/wordpress/2017/11/02/installing-fedora-27-on-a-2017-macbook-12-retina-macbook-101/>

Are there any plans for adding this to the official Tails?

Thanks in advance,
Marco
intrigeri
2018-05-29 18:08:48 UTC
Permalink
Raw Message
Hi Marco,

Marco Betschart:
> I wanted to boot Tails on my MacBook 12“ from 2015, but the keyboard as well as the trackpad do not work at all.
> Seems like this is a known issue and there is a driver available which should help out:
> https://mknowles.com.au/wordpress/2017/11/02/installing-fedora-27-on-a-2017-macbook-12-retina-macbook-101/
> <https://mknowles.com.au/wordpress/2017/11/02/installing-fedora-27-on-a-2017-macbook-12-retina-macbook-101/>

> Are there any plans for adding this to the official Tails?

This driver is marked "WIP" (work in progress) and as far as I know
it's not been submitted for inclusion into the Linux kernel yet.
The list of known issues on
https://github.com/cb22/macbook12-spi-driver is not exactly confidence
inspiring. So it's not available in Debian and thus not in Tails yet.
Once the authors of this driver deem it ready for prime time, it'll
propagate to Debian and then to Tails.

In the meantime, the amount of work required to go out of our way and
include this third-party driver does not fit into our
current resources. But assuming it's Free Software and builds
reproducibly, I think we would happily consider a good patch that
implements this :)

Cheers,
--
intrigeri
Marco Betschart
2018-05-30 07:32:44 UTC
Permalink
Raw Message
Hi Intrigeri,

Thanks for your feedback. I understand the situation and your proposed steps are absolutely legitimate from a Tails angle.
What would be the best approach for provide you a patch? I’ve seen https://tails.boum.org/contribute/how/code <https://tails.boum.org/contribute/how/code>

But since I only own my MacBook 12“ I’m not quite sure if it is fast enough to build the whole project and how I would ensure everything is working correctly afterwards?

Cheers,
Marco


> Am 29.05.2018 um 20:08 schrieb intrigeri <***@boum.org>:
>
> Hi Marco,
>
> Marco Betschart:
>> I wanted to boot Tails on my MacBook 12“ from 2015, but the keyboard as well as the trackpad do not work at all.
>> Seems like this is a known issue and there is a driver available which should help out:
>> https://mknowles.com.au/wordpress/2017/11/02/installing-fedora-27-on-a-2017-macbook-12-retina-macbook-101/
>> <https://mknowles.com.au/wordpress/2017/11/02/installing-fedora-27-on-a-2017-macbook-12-retina-macbook-101/>
>
>> Are there any plans for adding this to the official Tails?
>
> This driver is marked "WIP" (work in progress) and as far as I know
> it's not been submitted for inclusion into the Linux kernel yet.
> The list of known issues on
> https://github.com/cb22/macbook12-spi-driver is not exactly confidence
> inspiring. So it's not available in Debian and thus not in Tails yet.
> Once the authors of this driver deem it ready for prime time, it'll
> propagate to Debian and then to Tails.
>
> In the meantime, the amount of work required to go out of our way and
> include this third-party driver does not fit into our
> current resources. But assuming it's Free Software and builds
> reproducibly, I think we would happily consider a good patch that
> implements this :)
>
> Cheers,
> --
> intrigeri
intrigeri
2018-06-02 10:39:23 UTC
Permalink
Raw Message
Hi Marco,

Marco Betschart:
> Thanks for your feedback. I understand the situation and your
> proposed steps are absolutely legitimate from a Tails angle.

:)

> What would be the best approach for provide you a patch? I’ve seen
> https://tails.boum.org/contribute/how/code

Yes, that's the best entry point we have. See also HACKING.mdwn at the
root of our Git tree, which can also be useful.

> But since I only own my MacBook 12“ I’m not quite sure if it is fast
> enough to build the whole project

I'm not concerned about that. Worst case it'll take an hour or so to
build an ISO, which is still manageable (that's what it took me in
the first couple years of Tails development :)

> and how I would ensure everything is working correctly afterwards?

Assuming your changes are restricted to building an additional dkms
kernel module, there's little chance they break anything unrelated;
testing on various computers should be good enough.

But if you're curious you can take a look at our automated test suite:
https://tails.boum.org/contribute/release_process/test/automated_tests/

Cheers!
Marco Betschart
2018-06-02 11:11:15 UTC
Permalink
Raw Message
Hi Intrigeri,

Got a local VMWare Fusion setup with Debian 9.3 and VT-x enabled on my MacBook (Downloaded from OS-Boxes <https://www.osboxes.org/debian/>). Took me a while to figure out this is not possible with VirtualBox.
Anyway, I’m now trying to build Tails master branch to figure out if my setup works in general. I’m now running into the following two bummers:


1. Build of master branch fails with the following error

I’m executing as root:

rake build && rake vm:halt

Which aborts with the error:

There was an error in Libvirt. The error is shown below:
Call to virDomainCreateWithFlags failed: internal error: process excited while connecting to monitor: Could not access KVM kernel module: Permission denied failed to initialize KVM: permission denied.


2. Where to put the additional kernel modules
I’ve seen the HACKING.mdwn - but I not really figured out where and how to apply the instructions of the macbook12-spi-driver <https://github.com/cb22/macbook12-spi-driver> Can you give a short walk through where to put the changes? Just some bullet points should be enough to get me going.


Thank you very much for your help!!
Marco


> Am 02.06.2018 um 12:39 schrieb intrigeri <***@boum.org>:
>
> Hi Marco,
> Marco Betschart:
>> Thanks for your feedback. I understand the situation and your
>> proposed steps are absolutely legitimate from a Tails angle.
>
> :)
>
>> What would be the best approach for provide you a patch? I’ve seen
>> https://tails.boum.org/contribute/how/code
>
> Yes, that's the best entry point we have. See also HACKING.mdwn at the
> root of our Git tree, which can also be useful.
>
>> But since I only own my MacBook 12“ I’m not quite sure if it is fast
>> enough to build the whole project
>
> I'm not concerned about that. Worst case it'll take an hour or so to
> build an ISO, which is still manageable (that's what it took me in
> the first couple years of Tails development :)
>
>> and how I would ensure everything is working correctly afterwards?
>
> Assuming your changes are restricted to building an additional dkms
> kernel module, there's little chance they break anything unrelated;
> testing on various computers should be good enough.
>
> But if you're curious you can take a look at our automated test suite:
> https://tails.boum.org/contribute/release_process/test/automated_tests/
>
> Cheers!
Marco Betschart
2018-06-02 21:49:57 UTC
Permalink
Raw Message
Hi Intrigeri,

Was able to fix the permission issue and I think I know how to apply the kernel modules.
But I’m not able to run rake build successfully. It stucks while it’s waiting to obtain an IP address for the virtual machine.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Marco


> Am 02.06.2018 um 13:11 schrieb Marco Betschart <***@marco.betschart.name>:
>
> Hi Intrigeri,
>
> Got a local VMWare Fusion setup with Debian 9.3 and VT-x enabled on my MacBook (Downloaded from OS-Boxes <https://www.osboxes.org/debian/>). Took me a while to figure out this is not possible with VirtualBox.
> Anyway, I’m now trying to build Tails master branch to figure out if my setup works in general. I’m now running into the following two bummers:
>
>
> 1. Build of master branch fails with the following error
>
> I’m executing as root:
>
> rake build && rake vm:halt
>
> Which aborts with the error:
>
> There was an error in Libvirt. The error is shown below:
> Call to virDomainCreateWithFlags failed: internal error: process excited while connecting to monitor: Could not access KVM kernel module: Permission denied failed to initialize KVM: permission denied.
>
>
> 2. Where to put the additional kernel modules
> I’ve seen the HACKING.mdwn - but I not really figured out where and how to apply the instructions of the macbook12-spi-driver <https://github.com/cb22/macbook12-spi-driver> Can you give a short walk through where to put the changes? Just some bullet points should be enough to get me going.
>
>
> Thank you very much for your help!!
> Marco
>
>
>> Am 02.06.2018 um 12:39 schrieb intrigeri <***@boum.org <mailto:***@boum.org>>:
>>
>> Hi Marco,
>> Marco Betschart:
>>> Thanks for your feedback. I understand the situation and your
>>> proposed steps are absolutely legitimate from a Tails angle.
>>
>> :)
>>
>>> What would be the best approach for provide you a patch? I’ve seen
>>> https://tails.boum.org/contribute/how/code <https://tails.boum.org/contribute/how/code>
>>
>> Yes, that's the best entry point we have. See also HACKING.mdwn at the
>> root of our Git tree, which can also be useful.
>>
>>> But since I only own my MacBook 12“ I’m not quite sure if it is fast
>>> enough to build the whole project
>>
>> I'm not concerned about that. Worst case it'll take an hour or so to
>> build an ISO, which is still manageable (that's what it took me in
>> the first couple years of Tails development :)
>>
>>> and how I would ensure everything is working correctly afterwards?
>>
>> Assuming your changes are restricted to building an additional dkms
>> kernel module, there's little chance they break anything unrelated;
>> testing on various computers should be good enough.
>>
>> But if you're curious you can take a look at our automated test suite:
>> https://tails.boum.org/contribute/release_process/test/automated_tests/ <https://tails.boum.org/contribute/release_process/test/automated_tests/>
>>
>> Cheers!
>
intrigeri
2018-06-03 07:57:09 UTC
Permalink
Raw Message
Hi,

Marco Betschart:
> Got a local VMWare Fusion setup with Debian 9.3 and VT-x enabled on my MacBook
> (Downloaded from OS-Boxes <https://www.osboxes.org/debian/>).

> There was an error in Libvirt. The error is shown below:
> Call to virDomainCreateWithFlags failed: internal error: process excited while
> connecting to monitor: Could not access KVM kernel module: Permission denied failed
> to initialize KVM: permission denied.

I suspect VMWare does not expose (nested) VT-x capabilities to the
Debian guest VM which prevents that VM from itself running a VM (as
part of our build process). So either fix the Vmware VM configuration
(if that's possible at all) or adjust vagrant/Vagrantfile, e.g.
this line:

domain.driver = 'kvm'
intrigeri
2018-06-05 07:59:45 UTC
Permalink
Raw Message
Marco Betschart:
> I was able to fix that; VMWare does support passing VT-x to
> the guest.

Progress, good!

> But now I’m stuck with this IP Address issue. For some reason, the
> vagrant machine is not capable in getting one. Any idea how to fix
> this? Below the full output I get - the build stucks while waiting
> for the IP address. Please note: this is the master branch of the
> repo, no changes made from my end.

> $: rake build
> Using HTTP proxy: http://vagrant-stretch:3142
> Bringing machine 'default' up with 'libvirt' provider...
> [...]
> ==> default: Starting domain.
> ==> default: Waiting for domain to get an IP address...

I don't know what's going on. I suggest:

- looking at the logs in /var/log/libvirt/qemu/
(probably:
tails-builder-amd64-stretch-20180301-2f443fafad_default.log)
- looking at the systemd Journal with the journalctl command
- checking that your VMWare VM has enough RAM; I think you should give
it at least 1.5 GiB and even that might not be enough so if you can,
try with 3 GiB or more
Marco Betschart
2018-06-06 07:23:17 UTC
Permalink
Raw Message
A quick heads up on the „Waiting for IP address…“ issue:

Seems like this is macOS/VMWare Fusion related. Trying to vagrant up a regular debian/stretch64 shows the same symptoms.
Conclusion: VirtualBox does not support passing VT-x, VMWare Fusion does not seem to handle vagrant up as it expects.

Any chance to build Tails natively on macOS, without any VM? Unfortunately I don’t own any other hardware as of now.


> Am 05.06.2018 um 09:59 schrieb intrigeri <***@boum.org>:
>
> Marco Betschart:
>> I was able to fix that; VMWare does support passing VT-x to
>> the guest.
>
> Progress, good!
>
>> But now I’m stuck with this IP Address issue. For some reason, the
>> vagrant machine is not capable in getting one. Any idea how to fix
>> this? Below the full output I get - the build stucks while waiting
>> for the IP address. Please note: this is the master branch of the
>> repo, no changes made from my end.
>
>> $: rake build
>> Using HTTP proxy: http://vagrant-stretch:3142
>> Bringing machine 'default' up with 'libvirt' provider...
>> [...]
>> ==> default: Starting domain.
>> ==> default: Waiting for domain to get an IP address...
>
> I don't know what's going on. I suggest:
>
> - looking at the logs in /var/log/libvirt/qemu/
> (probably:
> tails-builder-amd64-stretch-20180301-2f443fafad_default.log)
> - looking at the systemd Journal with the journalctl command
> - checking that your VMWare VM has enough RAM; I think you should give
> it at least 1.5 GiB and even that might not be enough so if you can,
> try with 3 GiB or more
> _______________________________________________
> Tails-dev mailing list
> Tails-***@boum.org
> https://mailman.boum.org/listinfo/tails-dev
> To unsubscribe from this list, send an empty email to Tails-dev-***@boum.org.
u
2018-06-08 19:49:00 UTC
Permalink
Raw Message
Hi Marco,

Marco Betschart:
> A quick heads up on the „Waiting for IP address…“ issue:
>
> Seems like this is macOS/VMWare Fusion related. Trying to vagrant up a regular debian/stretch64 shows the same symptoms.
> Conclusion: VirtualBox does not support passing VT-x, VMWare Fusion does not seem to handle vagrant up as it expects.

That's "good" news, or at least we now know what happens.

> Any chance to build Tails natively on macOS, without any VM? Unfortunately I don’t own any other hardware as of now.

I cannot answer this question, but I believe not.

Cheers!
u.
d***@riseup.net
2018-06-08 21:36:21 UTC
Permalink
Raw Message
On 2018-06-08 15:49, u wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
>> Any chance to build Tails natively on macOS, without any VM? Unfortunately I don’t own any other hardware as of now.
>
> I cannot answer this question, but I believe not.
>

This is correct, building Tails natively on MacOS is not something that
is supported.

More information on how to build on Debian stretch here:
https://tails.boum.org/contribute/build/

Cheers,
Marco Betschart
2018-06-04 11:51:22 UTC
Permalink
Raw Message
Does anybody know how to fix the never ending „Waiting for domain to get an IP Address
“ below?
I’m running a fresh Debian 9.3 in VMWare Fusion on my macOS. VT-x is enabled; dependencies according to the Tails guide <https://tails.boum.org/contribute/build/> are installed.

Would be awesome if anybody can help out
.


> Anfang der weitergeleiteten Nachricht:
>
> Von: Marco Betschart <***@marco.betschart.name>
> Betreff: Aw: [Tails-dev] Tails on MacBook?
> Datum: 3. Juni 2018 um 10:51:05 MESZ
> An: The Tails public development discussion list <tails-***@boum.org>
> Antwort an: The Tails public development discussion list <tails-***@boum.org>
>
> Hi Intrigeri,
>
> I was able to fix that; VMWare does support passing VT-x to the guest. But now I’m stuck with this IP Address issue. For some reason, the vagrant machine is not capable in getting one. Any idea how to fix this? Below the full output I get - the build stucks while waiting for the IP address. Please note: this is the master branch of the repo, no changes made from my end.
>
> $: rake build
> Using HTTP proxy: http://vagrant-stretch:3142 <http://vagrant-stretch:3142/>
> Bringing machine 'default' up with 'libvirt' provider...
> ==> default: Creating image (snapshot of base box volume).
> ==> default: Creating domain with the following settings...
> ==> default: -- Name: tails-builder-amd64-stretch-20180301-2f443fafad_default
> ==> default: -- Domain type: kvm
> ==> default: -- Cpus: 1
> ==> default: -- Memory: 1024M
> ==> default: -- Management MAC:
> ==> default: -- Loader:
> ==> default: -- Base box: tails-builder-amd64-stretch-20180301-2f443fafad
> ==> default: -- Storage pool: default
> ==> default: -- Image: /var/lib/libvirt/images/tails-builder-amd64-stretch-20180301-2f443fafad_default.img (20G)
> ==> default: -- Volume Cache: default
> ==> default: -- Kernel:
> ==> default: -- Initrd:
> ==> default: -- Graphics Type: vnc
> ==> default: -- Graphics Port: 5900
> ==> default: -- Graphics IP: 127.0.0.1
> ==> default: -- Graphics Password: Not defined
> ==> default: -- Video Type: cirrus
> ==> default: -- Video VRAM: 9216
> ==> default: -- Keymap: en-us
> ==> default: -- TPM Path:
> ==> default: -- Disks: vdb(qcow2,15G)
> ==> default: -- Disk(vdb): /var/lib/libvirt/images/apt-cacher-ng-data.qcow2 (Remove only manually) Not created - using existed.
> ==> default: -- INPUT: type=mouse, bus=ps2
> ==> default: -- Command line :
> ==> default: ================
> ==> default: Machine id: 3a12845b-e5a6-44c9-9d2a-6833d15b5e0f
> ==> default: Should be mounting folders
> ==> default: /vagrant, opts: {:type=>:"9p", :readonly=>true, :guestpath=>"/vagrant", :hostpath=>"/home/osboxes/tails/vagrant", :disabled=>false, :__vagrantfile=>true, :target=>"/vagrant", :accessmode=>"passthrough", :mount=>true, :mount_tag=>"2c56346e7960721c6c3f8de5e712c67"}
> ==> default: ================
> ==> default: Machine id: 3a12845b-e5a6-44c9-9d2a-6833d15b5e0f
> ==> default: Should be mounting folders
> ==> default: /amnesia.git, opts: {:type=>:"9p", :readonly=>true, :guestpath=>"/amnesia.git", :hostpath=>"/home/osboxes/tails", :disabled=>false, :__vagrantfile=>true, :target=>"/amnesia.git", :accessmode=>"passthrough", :mount=>true, :mount_tag=>"87850e485a799696ca30413b1dff3e1"}
> ==> default: Creating shared folders metadata...
> ==> default: Starting domain.
> ==> default: Waiting for domain to get an IP address...
>
>
>> Am 03.06.2018 um 09:57 schrieb intrigeri <***@boum.org <mailto:***@boum.org>>:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Marco Betschart:
>>> Got a local VMWare Fusion setup with Debian 9.3 and VT-x enabled on my MacBook
>>> (Downloaded from OS-Boxes <https://www.osboxes.org/debian/ <https://www.osboxes.org/debian/>>).
>>
>>> There was an error in Libvirt. The error is shown below:
>>> Call to virDomainCreateWithFlags failed: internal error: process excited while
>>> connecting to monitor: Could not access KVM kernel module: Permission denied failed
>>> to initialize KVM: permission denied.
>>
>> I suspect VMWare does not expose (nested) VT-x capabilities to the
>> Debian guest VM which prevents that VM from itself running a VM (as
>> part of our build process). So either fix the Vmware VM configuration
>> (if that's possible at all) or adjust vagrant/Vagrantfile, e.g.
>> this line:
>>
>> domain.driver = 'kvm'
>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> Tails-dev mailing list
>> Tails-***@boum.org <mailto:Tails-***@boum.org>
>> https://mailman.boum.org/listinfo/tails-dev
>> To unsubscribe from this list, send an empty email to Tails-dev-***@boum.org.
>
> _______________________________________________
> Tails-dev mailing list
> Tails-***@boum.org
> https://mailman.boum.org/listinfo/tails-dev
> To unsubscribe from this list, send an empty email to Tails-dev-***@boum.org.
Loading...