Searching documents in an airgap Tails
Loic Dachary
2018-01-06 08:59:22 UTC
Hi,

Journalist using SecureDrop decrypt and read documents in an airgap Tails. I wonder which tools are available to search the documents stored in their persistence. Maybe this topic was discussed somewhere already ? Looking for "search engine" and other similar words in readmine[1] points to numerous entries related to web search engines, reason why I may have missed something focused specifically on this problem.

Ideally Tails would come with the best search tools there is for Debian GNU/Linux. But ... the footprint of these tools may be too much to impose on all Tails users since journalists are a minority. Even if we care very much about investigative journalists working on airgap machines, adding hundreds of mega bytes to the Tails ISO could have a negative impact for the majority of use cases.

An alternative would be to add those tools in the persistence so they are installed on every reboot[2]. While this is a fine temporary solution or when the the packages are small, it significantly increases the boot time (because packages are re-installed on boot). And there is no documented upgrade path for these packages. It may be the case that this eventually improves as part of rethinking the installation and upgrade process[3] though.

Any advice you may have, things I could do to move forward, would be most welcome :-)

Cheers

[1] https://labs.riseup.net/code/projects/tails/issues
[2] https://tails.boum.org/doc/advanced_topics/additional_software/index.en.html
[3] Rethink the installation process and upgrade process https://labs.riseup.net/code/issues/11679
Loïc Dachary, Artisan Logiciel Libre
anonym
2018-01-08 10:28:00 UTC
Post by Loic Dachary
Journalist using SecureDrop decrypt and read documents in an airgap Tails. I wonder which tools are available to search the documents stored in their persistence.
What about GNOME Files' built-in search functionality [1]? It works well enough for me (although I can imagine it is slow if 1000s of files are involved) so I first would like that answered before proceeding with the rest of your email.

[1] https://help.gnome.org/users/gnome-help/stable/files-search.html

Cheers!
Loic Dachary
2018-01-08 12:58:45 UTC
Hi Anonym,
Post by anonym
Post by Loic Dachary
Journalist using SecureDrop decrypt and read documents in an airgap Tails. I wonder which tools are available to search the documents stored in their persistence.
What about GNOME Files' built-in search functionality [1]? It works well enough for me (although I can imagine it is slow if 1000s of files are involved) so I first would like that answered before proceeding with the rest of your email.
GNOME Files search[1] is based on Tracker[2] and supports a number of formats. Unless I'm mistaken it would require an upgrade to nautilus 3.26[3] to get full text search. Tails 3.3 has nautilus 3.22 and after upgrading to 3.26.2 (from Debian GNU/Linux sid with apt-get install nautilus tracker tracker-extract tracker-miner-fs) it worked with a simple manual test. Even if nautilus is not the best full text search it would be a great improvement :-)

Do you think such an upgrade would be possible ?

Cheers

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNOME_Files#File_indexing_and_file_search_framework
[2] https://wiki.gnome.org/Projects/Tracker
[3] https://github.com/GNOME/nautilus/blob/master/NEWS#L40
Loic Dachary

intrigeri
2018-05-21 15:50:38 UTC
Hi,
Post by Loic Dachary
GNOME Files search[1] is based on Tracker[2] and supports a number of formats.
Unless I'm mistaken it would require an upgrade to nautilus 3.26[3] to get full text
search. Tails 3.3 has nautilus 3.22 and after upgrading to 3.26.2 (from Debian
GNU/Linux sid with apt-get install nautilus tracker tracker-extract tracker-miner-fs)
it worked with a simple manual test. Even if nautilus is not the best full text
search it would be a great improvement :-)
Do you think such an upgrade would be possible ?
It's great that we'll have this working once Tails is based on Debian
Buster; once we're there users who need such functionality can install
tracker and friends via Additional Software Packages.

Meanwhile, I'd rather not mix'n'match GNOME components from
testing/sid into Stretch-based Tails.
DrWhax
2018-01-16 23:03:00 UTC
Hi,

I had some discussions with some of the people supporting the
journalists working on the Snowden archives and journalists using tools.

Some of them are custom written and only do one job, take out all the
"speaker notes" for example in powerpoint presentations (don't ask).
Most of that stuff isn't packaged in Debian and they have to install it
themselves.

The discussion we had maybe in the open or maybe in the backchannels
was, could we maintain some kind of "journalist pack" for persistence
where we package these tools somewhat and these things install when you
setup your persistence.

We would also maintain some sort of deb repo for this. Maybe this could
even be a way to get some funding in from bigger organisations and a way
to support them in software! (crazy thought)

I don't think we reached any conclusion or actionable points so thanks
for starting this discussion again and I hope my blurp is good for
something.

Best,
Jurre
Loic Dachary
2018-01-16 23:20:10 UTC
Hi,
Post by DrWhax
Hi,
I had some discussions with some of the people supporting the
journalists working on the Snowden archives and journalists using tools.
Some of them are custom written and only do one job, take out all the
"speaker notes" for example in powerpoint presentations (don't ask).
Most of that stuff isn't packaged in Debian and they have to install it
themselves.
The discussion we had maybe in the open or maybe in the backchannels
was, could we maintain some kind of "journalist pack" for persistence
where we package these tools somewhat and these things install when you
setup your persistence.
With 3.4 the "Install additional software" is excellent for prototyping, indeed. It would be very useful to dig into these discussions and implement some ideas or package some of the code when possible. A journalist pack could start as a set of .deb listed in live-additional-software.conf while they are being pushed to Debian GNU/Linux.
Post by DrWhax
We would also maintain some sort of deb repo for this. Maybe this could
even be a way to get some funding in from bigger organisations and a way
to support them in software! (crazy thought)
I don't think we reached any conclusion or actionable points so thanks
for starting this discussion again and I hope my blurp is good for
something.
I'm glad to hear about these past discussions and eager to learn more :-)

Cheers
Post by DrWhax
Best,
Jurre
Loic Dachary
2018-01-26 10:16:00 UTC
Hi,

Do tails developers advise me to:

a) create a feature request at https://labs.riseup.net/code/projects/tails/issues/new for the inclusion of tracker[1] in Tails and continue the discussion there

b) keep discussing the general problem on this list instead of going for a tentative improvement (including tracker) even before there is positive feedback to go in this direction

Please forgive me if that's a newbie question, still learning the best way to communicate :-)

Cheers

[1] https://wiki.gnome.org/Projects/Tracker
Post by Loic Dachary
Hi,
Post by DrWhax
We would also maintain some sort of deb repo for this. Maybe this could
even be a way to get some funding in from bigger organisations and a way
to support them in software! (crazy thought)
I don't think we reached any conclusion or actionable points so thanks
for starting this discussion again and I hope my blurp is good for
something.
I'm glad to hear about these past discussions and eager to learn more :-)
Cheers
Post by DrWhax
Best,
Jurre
DrWhax
2018-01-28 20:53:00 UTC
Hi,

Is Tracker something that would actually be useful for journalists? Do
you know of any case studies where it has proved useful?

I think it's probably more useful to have a discuss ticket how to cater
the needs of journalists better, than integrating something that might
not be useful.

What do you think?

Best,
Hi,
<snip>
Loic Dachary
2018-01-28 21:22:40 UTC
Hi!
Post by DrWhax
Hi,
Is Tracker something that would actually be useful for journalists? Do
you know of any case studies where it has proved useful?
If you think the best course of action is to:

* Assemble a panel of journalists using airgap Tails
* Prepare a tails with nautilus + tracker integration
* Conduct a UX study to assert they need and actually use this search tool and benefit from it
* Summarize the findings of the study in a report
* Present the report to Tails developers and kindly ask if this search tool could be integrated in Tails

I'd be happy to do that. It will take a few months but it will prove that journalists actually benefit from having a full text search tool for their work.
Post by DrWhax
I think it's probably more useful to have a discuss ticket how to cater
the needs of journalists better, than integrating something that might
not be useful.
What do you think?
Sounds like a plan :-) Would you mind giving me the URL of a good "discuss ticket" so that I can create one that will be a good introduction to this general discussion ?

Thanks for your guidance !
Post by DrWhax
Best,
Hi,
g***@autistici.org
2018-02-03 07:25:55 UTC
Is there a reason Catfish isn't being considered for this? It's in
Debian and works exceptionally well, with a clean and intuitive
interface.

A more advanced tool is Pfilesearch, but I don't believe it's currently
in Debian or Ubuntu (it was invented for Puppy Linux). It's extremely
simple though, and probably could be added and thereafter maintained by
Tails itself without any meaningful overhead.

Pfilesearch is more comprehensive, but Catfish is not far behind and
also nice because it offers direct access to the files that it finds. By
contrast, Pfilesearch results only provide a list of file paths that you
then have to use a file browser to track down.

gl
Post by Loic Dachary
Hi!
Post by DrWhax
I think it's probably more useful to have a discuss ticket how to cater
the needs of journalists better, than integrating something that might
not be useful.
What do you think?
Sounds like a plan :-) Would you mind giving me the URL of a good
"discuss ticket" so that I can create one that will be a good
introduction to this general discussion ?
Thanks for your guidance !
Post by DrWhax
Best,
Hi,
<snip>
g***@autistici.org

2018-06-04 20:16:00 UTC
Hi!
Post by g***@autistici.org
Is there a reason Catfish isn't being considered for this? It's in
Debian and works exceptionally well, with a clean and intuitive
interface.
It has never been requested by many people to include this tool.

We currently work on a GUI for the additional software feature in Tails.
This feature allows to better choose which package to install to a Tails
device on top of the default software. We're currently in the Beta stage
and we wondered if it was useful to propose to users to install certain
packages, when they run this GUI for the first time. Maybe catfish would
be a good candidate. I did not check on it's dependencies though not
verify how the search suggestions provided by zeitgeist would work in
the context of Tails.

If you want to try this feature and install catfish for example please
read https://tails.boum.org/news/test_asp-beta/ and report back :)
Post by g***@autistici.org
A more advanced tool is Pfilesearch, but I don't believe it's
currently in Debian or Ubuntu (it was invented for Puppy Linux). It's
extremely simple though, and probably could be added and thereafter
maintained by Tails itself without any meaningful overhead.
Correct, it's not in Debian.

Cheers,
u.
2018-06-04 20:20:00 UTC
Hi!
Post by DrWhax
The discussion we had maybe in the open or maybe in the backchannels
was, could we maintain some kind of "journalist pack" for persistence
where we package these tools somewhat and these things install when you
setup your persistence.
I think it'd be useful to identify some of these tools, and propose them
when people launch the Additional Software Feature GUI for the first
time. Also see https://tails.boum.org/news/test_asp-beta/index.en.html
Post by DrWhax
We would also maintain some sort of deb repo for this. Maybe this could
even be a way to get some funding in from bigger organisations and a way
to support them in software! (crazy thought)
I don't think we should maintain a deb repo for this. Instead, let's
identify some useful candidates we could propose to install in our
documentation on top of what I said above.

Cheers!
u.
d***@riseup.net
2018-06-08 21:42:15 UTC
Post by u
Hi!
Post by DrWhax
The discussion we had maybe in the open or maybe in the backchannels
was, could we maintain some kind of "journalist pack" for persistence
where we package these tools somewhat and these things install when you
setup your persistence.
I think it'd be useful to identify some of these tools, and propose them
when people launch the Additional Software Feature GUI for the first
time. Also see https://tails.boum.org/news/test_asp-beta/index.en.html
Sure thing! Could you create a blueprint for this? Thanks!
Post by u
Post by DrWhax
We would also maintain some sort of deb repo for this. Maybe this could
even be a way to get some funding in from bigger organisations and a way
to support them in software! (crazy thought)
I don't think we should maintain a deb repo for this. Instead, let's
identify some useful candidates we could propose to install in our
documentation on top of what I said above.
Yes, that makes sense for now, even though some of these tools aren't
packaged for Debian. But, let's put this all on the blueprint and see
what comes out of it.

Cheers,
DrWhax
sajolida
2018-06-09 09:34:00 UTC
Post by d***@riseup.net
Post by u
Post by DrWhax
The discussion we had maybe in the open or maybe in the backchannels
was, could we maintain some kind of "journalist pack" for persistence
where we package these tools somewhat and these things install when you
setup your persistence.
I think it'd be useful to identify some of these tools, and propose them
when people launch the Additional Software Feature GUI for the first
time. Also see https://tails.boum.org/news/test_asp-beta/index.en.html
Sure thing! Could you create a blueprint for this? Thanks!
I haven't followed this thread at all so could you tell me how you want
your blueprint to be called?

https://tails.boum.org/blueprint/???
sajolida
d***@riseup.net
2018-06-11 14:32:06 UTC
Post by sajolida
Post by d***@riseup.net
Post by u
Post by DrWhax
The discussion we had maybe in the open or maybe in the backchannels
was, could we maintain some kind of "journalist pack" for persistence
where we package these tools somewhat and these things install when you
setup your persistence.
I think it'd be useful to identify some of these tools, and propose them
when people launch the Additional Software Feature GUI for the first
time. Also see https://tails.boum.org/news/test_asp-beta/index.en.html
Sure thing! Could you create a blueprint for this? Thanks!
Could you call it: searching_documents_additional_software
Thanks!
sajolida
2018-06-14 07:40:00 UTC
Post by d***@riseup.net
Post by d***@riseup.net
Post by u
Post by DrWhax
The discussion we had maybe in the open or maybe in the backchannels
was, could we maintain some kind of "journalist pack" for persistence
where we package these tools somewhat and these things install when you
setup your persistence.
I think it'd be useful to identify some of these tools, and propose them
when people launch the Additional Software Feature GUI for the first
time. Also see https://tails.boum.org/news/test_asp-beta/index.en.html
Sure thing! Could you create a blueprint for this? Thanks!
Could you call it: searching_documents_additional_software
Here you go!

https://tails.boum.org/blueprint/searching_documents_additional_software/
sajolida
2018-06-14 08:50:00 UTC
Hi!
Post by sajolida
Post by d***@riseup.net
Post by d***@riseup.net
Post by u
Post by DrWhax
The discussion we had maybe in the open or maybe in the backchannels
was, could we maintain some kind of "journalist pack" for persistence
where we package these tools somewhat and these things install when you
setup your persistence.
I think it'd be useful to identify some of these tools, and propose them
when people launch the Additional Software Feature GUI for the first
time. Also see https://tails.boum.org/news/test_asp-beta/index.en.html
Sure thing! Could you create a blueprint for this? Thanks!
Could you call it: searching_documents_additional_software
Here you go!
https://tails.boum.org/blueprint/searching_documents_additional_software/
Hmmm, my proposal was not only about searching documents, but about a
list of software useful for journalists.

I will thus rename this blueprint to
https://tails.boum.org/blueprint/additional_software_for_journalists

Next time I'll try to be more reactive upfront.

Cheers!
u.