Duplicate and Backups for Tails
a***@openmail.cc
2018-01-27 20:38:00 UTC
three utilities that i wrote from scratch; they are provided here
without restriction in the hope someone finds them useful.

* duplicate primary USB to identical or larger USB drive
* backup persistent contents to the Persistent Folder
* restore from backup above

i find the duplicate utility essential and recommend it be included in
Tails. I've had a few instances where my computer halted (battery ran
out) and the usb drive was completely ruined with all data
unrecoverable, my only luck was that i had actually run my duplicate
previously! phew!!!

also, installing these under ~/.local/share/applications helps too.

Install [note, i've only done this once and it worked; so the setup
procedures should be tested with other systems.]

Manually add the following mapping to the
/live/persistence/TailsData_unlocked/persistence.conf file:

/home/amnesia/.local source=local

Then reboot to establish persistence for these "local" customizations.

Next drop the attached files in the
/home/amnesia/.local/share/applications/ folder and the utilities will
magically show up in the menus under "Accessories"! The *.bash files
must have execute permission.

INFO:

The duplicate.bash script checks to see if the two USB's are identical,
and if so it does a dd copy of the entire drive; if not identical it
attempts to create matching partitions on the target drive and dd's the
two partitions separately. That way you SHOULD be able to duplicate a
drive to another usb that isn't identical, but is at least a little bigger.

The backup.bash and restore.bash scripts are identical and use the
filename to determine which function to perform; backup puts the backup
file in the /home/amnesia/Persistent folder then i manually move it to a
cloud or another computer and then i wipe the backup file to free up the
space. Ideally, it would prompt for a target network destination, maybe
i'll add that in the future.

These have been working for me, but more testing is surely necessary.

The dup utility has saved my ass more than once! one of my usb drives
was completely destroyed (can't even format it) when my PC ran out of
battery power and shutdown abruptly. i highly recommend a duplicate
feature be added to tails!!

let me know if you find these useful. good luck.

-a2

ONLY AT VFEmail! - Use our Metadata Mitigator to keep your email out of the NSA's hands!
15GB disk! No bandwidth quotas!
Commercial and Bulk Mail Options!
intrigeri
2018-02-13 13:29:08 UTC
Post by a***@openmail.cc
three utilities that i wrote from scratch; they are provided here
without restriction in the hope someone finds them useful.
* duplicate primary USB to identical or larger USB drive
* backup persistent contents to the Persistent Folder
* restore from backup above
Thanks, I've let segfault know on
https://labs.riseup.net/code/issues/12214 :)