Release schedule for Tails 3.9
intrigeri
2018-07-10 22:06:02 UTC
Hi!

it's not clear who will be the release manager for Tails 3.9 yet but
we're well into its development cycle and lots of great, intrusive
work has to land in time for that release, so I figured we need at
least a fallback release schedule to provide guidance to everyone who
needs it.

If you're the lead/manager for a team that's affected by this
schedule, please ensure your team-mates are planning their
work accordingly.

So, in case I end up playing the role of backup RM for Tails 3.9,
here's how it's going to happen:

- August 15: feature freeze

Everything you want to see in Tails 3.9 must be merged into our
devel branch by 17:00 CEST that day.

Particularly for big chunks of work, please do submit them for
review to the foundations team ahead of this date: as the deadline
approaches, quite a few of us will be busy completing their own
work, so let's be excellent to each other by not assuming they're
available for last minute reviews or post-super-late-review fixes.
Better talk to each other in advance to schedule time for these
things ♥

If all this is very nice but too vague, as a rule of thumb:

- if you're a developer, better submit your large chunks of work by
August 5 and schedule enough time for post-review fixes during
August 5-12
- if you're a reviewer, please consider scheduling time for
reviews during August 5-15

- August 16: build tentative 3.9~rc1

- August 17: test and release 3.9~rc1

→ manual testers: please tell me privately if you can make it.

- August 18-30: small, targeted, not too risky fixes may be granted
freeze exceptions

Reviewer time will be a very scarce resource during that period so
please anticipate. If you can already guess that you'll need
a bigger freeze exception that does not fit into these rules, talk
to me ASAP.

Please try hard to avoid changing user-visible strings during that
period: I'd like translators to have a couple weeks to do the great
amount of work I'll drop on their plate on August 17, so we release
our fancy new features in 3.9 with the best localization they can
get :)

- September 4: build 3.9 tentative ISO

- September 5: test and release 3.9 \o/

→ manual testers: please tell me privately if you can make it.

Cheers,
intrigeri
alienpup

sajolida
2018-07-16 14:21:00 UTC
Post by intrigeri
it's not clear who will be the release manager for Tails 3.9 yet but
we're well into its development cycle and lots of great, intrusive
work has to land in time for that release, so I figured we need at
least a fallback release schedule to provide guidance to everyone who
needs it.
Thanks a lot for making plans for that!
Post by intrigeri
- August 15: feature freeze
- August 18-30: small, targeted, not too risky fixes may be granted
freeze exceptions
Does this apply to documentation fixes? We should be able to finish all
the doc in time for the RC but I'll give priority to my UI/coding work
over my documentation work.
Post by intrigeri
Please try hard to avoid changing user-visible strings during that
period: I'd like translators to have a couple weeks to do the great
amount of work I'll drop on their plate on August 17, so we release
our fancy new features in 3.9 with the best localization they can
get :)
This should work.
Post by intrigeri
- September 4: build 3.9 tentative ISO
- September 5: test and release 3.9 \o/
I'll be working with Simply Secure on September 3 and traveling on
September 4. So the timing of the release is not optimal for me as a
technical writing (but it's not something new).

I'll try to write the release notes before that and to be available on
September 5 to document last minute known issues. But don't count on me
on September 3-4.
sajolida
intrigeri
2018-08-07 18:09:15 UTC
Hi,
Post by intrigeri
Please try hard to avoid changing user-visible strings during that
period: I'd like translators to have a couple weeks to do the great
amount of work I'll drop on their plate on August 17, so we release
our fancy new features in 3.9 with the best localization they can
get :)
… small documentation fixes will be welcome but it won't be a great
time to merge large pieces of new / totally revamped doc. Now, since
there was apparently a misunderstanding on the definition of
"user-visible strings" and it took me 3 weeks to clarify it, I'll be
a bit more flexible than I intended to be when I wrote the message
you're replying to.
Post by sajolida
I'll be working with Simply Secure on September 3 and traveling on
September 4. So the timing of the release is not optimal for me as a
technical writing (but it's not something new).
I'll try to write the release notes before that and to be available on
September 5 to document last minute known issues. But don't count on me
on September 3-4.
OK; maybe add this to #14683 so I find this info when I need it?

Thankfully most of the changes should make it into the RC
so you'll have quite some time to prepare them in advance.
I'm not concerned :)

Cheers,
intrigeri
sajolida
2018-08-08 18:56:00 UTC
Post by intrigeri
Post by intrigeri
Please try hard to avoid changing user-visible strings during that
period: I'd like translators to have a couple weeks to do the great
amount of work I'll drop on their plate on August 17, so we release
our fancy new features in 3.9 with the best localization they can
get :)
… small documentation fixes will be welcome but it won't be a great
time to merge large pieces of new / totally revamped doc. Now, since
there was apparently a misunderstanding on the definition of
"user-visible strings" and it took me 3 weeks to clarify it, I'll be
a bit more flexible than I intended to be when I wrote the message
you're replying to.
Doc will be in time for the freeze!
sajolida
intrigeri
2018-08-07 18:12:29 UTC
Post by intrigeri
- if you're a developer, better submit your large chunks of work by
August 5 and schedule enough time for post-review fixes during
August 5-12
- if you're a reviewer, please consider scheduling time for
reviews during August 5-15
Reminder: we're now past August 5.

Happy hacking & reviewing!