installing a package with double click
emma peel
2018-07-28 12:04:00 UTC
hello:

as now we are having so many possibilities with the new Additional Software feature coming, with some friends we are working on some apps that can be used in Tails.

We have a nice .deb package for newbie users to be able to install a small catalogue of tools, but we dont fin a way to bootstrap it nicely.

Would it be possible to install, for example, gdebi, so users can

- - double-click on a .deb file on Nautilus
- - get asked the admin password
- - install the debian package

it is quite straighforward once you have installed it.

or maybe there is a way to add a MIME type for Nautilus that will trigger some fancy thing?

gdebi is 169 kB when installed.
emma peel
2018-07-28 13:26:00 UTC
Post by emma peel
gdebi is 169 kB when installed.
oops... actually, it is quite more: 11,5 MB

Se instalarán los siguientes paquetes adicionales:
gconf-service gconf2 gconf2-common gdebi-core gir1.2-vte-2.91 gksu libgconf-2-4 libgksu2-0 python3-apt python3-debian

Se instalarán los siguientes paquetes NUEVOS:
gconf-service gconf2 gconf2-common gdebi gdebi-core gir1.2-vte-2.91 gksu libgconf-2-4 libgksu2-0 python3-apt python3-debian

Se necesita descargar 3.397 kB de archivos.
Se utilizarán 11,5 MB de espacio de disco adicional después de esta operación.
segfault
2018-07-28 14:21:00 UTC
hi,
Post by emma peel
as now we are having so many possibilities with the new Additional Software feature coming, with some friends we are working on some apps that can be used in Tails.
We have a nice .deb package for newbie users to be able to install a small catalogue of tools, but we dont fin a way to bootstrap it nicely.
Would it be possible to install, for example, gdebi, so users can
- double-click on a .deb file on Nautilus
- get asked the admin password
- install the debian package
it is quite straighforward once you have installed it.
or maybe there is a way to add a MIME type for Nautilus that will trigger some fancy thing?
I'm not sure if we should make it easy for users to install software
from untrusted sources.
sajolida
2018-07-28 15:55:00 UTC
Post by segfault
Post by emma peel
as now we are having so many possibilities with the new Additional Software feature coming, with some friends we are working on some apps that can be used in Tails.
We have a nice .deb package for newbie users to be able to install a small catalogue of tools, but we dont fin a way to bootstrap it nicely.
Would it be possible to install, for example, gdebi, so users can
- double-click on a .deb file on Nautilus
- get asked the admin password
- install the debian package
it is quite straighforward once you have installed it.
or maybe there is a way to add a MIME type for Nautilus that will trigger some fancy thing?
I'm not sure if we should make it easy for users to install software
from untrusted sources.
Same here especially given that people will be able to install gdebi
using Additional Software. Would this work for these people?
sajolida
emma peel
2018-07-29 07:51:00 UTC
Post by sajolida
Post by segfault
I'm not sure if we should make it easy for users to install software
from untrusted sources.
Same here especially given that people will be able to install gdebi
using Additional Software. Would this work for these people?
Yeah that was the other option and the one that will probably be used.

Thanks!
intrigeri
2018-08-01 06:33:10 UTC
Post by emma peel
Would it be possible to install, for example, gdebi, so users can
- double-click on a .deb file on Nautilus
- get asked the admin password
- install the debian package
The major problem I have with this (manual) approach is: users won't
get any kind of upgrade for the installed software unless they
consciously and manually go somewhere to check for upgrades. Bug-free,
fully translated software that never needs to be upgraded is
pretty rare.

The approach we support currently is adding new APT sources in
a persistent manner (perhaps in the future we'll support Flatpak
remotes similarly but we're not there yet). I don't know how well this
support works in practice (due to lack of feedback). But setting up and
maintaining an APT repo may not be that much less work than having the
software in Debian proper. YMMV :)
emma peel
2018-08-01 16:36:00 UTC
Post by intrigeri
Post by emma peel
Would it be possible to install, for example, gdebi, so users can
- double-click on a .deb file on Nautilus
- get asked the admin password
- install the debian package
The major problem I have with this (manual) approach is: users won't
get any kind of upgrade for the installed software unless they
consciously and manually go somewhere to check for upgrades. Bug-free,
fully translated software that never needs to be upgraded is
pretty rare.
The package will also add a repo where said package is also located and add it to additional-software.conf, so it should be updated automatically when there is a new version on the repo, right?
Post by intrigeri
The approach we support currently is adding new APT sources in
a persistent manner (perhaps in the future we'll support Flatpak
remotes similarly but we're not there yet). I don't know how well this
support works in practice (due to lack of feedback). But setting up and
maintaining an APT repo may not be that much less work than having the
software in Debian proper. YMMV :)
The idea is to have a debian package that adds a Debian repository, apart of a graphic interface to install and enable the other apps.

Devs wanted to make the bootstrap process easier for non-technical users, so that is why the gdebi idea.

But sajolida's suggestion is OK, users can install gdebi through synaptic and not even persist it, and then the rest of the packages can be installed from the repo.

The main package will also be on this repo, so it will be easily updated.
sajolida
2018-08-02 13:35:00 UTC
Post by emma peel
Post by intrigeri
The approach we support currently is adding new APT sources in
a persistent manner (perhaps in the future we'll support Flatpak
remotes similarly but we're not there yet). I don't know how well this
support works in practice (due to lack of feedback). But setting up and
maintaining an APT repo may not be that much less work than having the
software in Debian proper. YMMV :)
The idea is to have a debian package that adds a Debian repository, apart of a graphic interface to install and enable the other apps.
Devs wanted to make the bootstrap process easier for non-technical users, so that is why the gdebi idea.
But sajolida's suggestion is OK, users can install gdebi through synaptic and not even persist it, and then the rest of the packages can be installed from the repo.
The main package will also be on this repo, so it will be easily updated.
I got it now!

So the problem here is: how do you switch from running vanilla Tails to
running a different Tails blend/derivative (as described a bit in [1])?

[1]: https://tails.boum.org/contribute/derivatives/

That's an interesting problem!

And their approach sounds good: using a configuration package from a
custom Debian repo. I also wondered if it would be possible (and maybe
easier for the user) to run some executable that adds the custom repo.
But I'm not sure how to create executable that you can double-click on
or open with "Open With Other Application"...
sajolida
intrigeri
2018-08-07 08:11:28 UTC
Post by sajolida
But I'm not sure how to create executable that you can double-click on
or open with "Open With Other Application"...
… keeping in mind that Nautilus is in the process of removing support
for running executables.

Cheers,
intrigeri
intrigeri
2018-08-07 08:10:40 UTC
Post by emma peel
Post by intrigeri
The major problem I have with this (manual) approach is: users won't
get any kind of upgrade for the installed software unless they
consciously and manually go somewhere to check for upgrades. Bug-free,
fully translated software that never needs to be upgraded is
pretty rare.
The package will also add a repo where said package is also located and add it to
additional-software.conf, so it should be updated automatically when there is a new
version on the repo, right?
Yes!

Cheers,
--